Product Development, Friction Materials
The function of this position includes the development of new friction product technologies, new friction product concepts, core design theories and understanding necessary for the design and development of present and new generation Automotive Transmission Systems products.
The candidate must show demonstrated abilities and thoroughly capable of research and development in the area of Materials Science, Tribology, Friction Phenomena, Transport Phenomena, Friction and Related Systems, and computer modeling. The candidate must be fully capable of utilizing various analytical tools and facilities (e.g. computer, computer software, test instruments, etc.) necessary for the research, development, and analysis of new Transmission Systems Friction Products.
Nature and Scope:
The purpose of this position is to develop new friction product technologies, new friction product concepts, care design theories and understanding necessary for the development of new TS products. Dissemination of the acquired technologies, concepts, core design theories and design methodologies to the TS Business sites in the form of written documents / reports / computer presentations / and oral presentations wilt be required,. The candidate will also be responsible for acting as a technical consultant to the Transmission Systems Business Units regarding these new core technologies understanding and new product concept transfer.
The candidate will interface effectively with: (1) Advanced Friction Products R&D; (2) Advanced Manufacturing Technology; (3) Advanced Transmission System Technology . The Transmission Systems product needs are largely based on market directions and analysis. The candidate is expected to identify and define the technologies necessary for the facilitation of the design and development of such products.
The position requires a Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, along with one to five years experience in materials used for the development of systems for friction applications.
1. Identify and develop product design technology by:
2. Design and develop new and/or evolutionary Friction products.
3. Provide analytical basis and understanding to the engineers at the client’s business units
4. Develop systems design technologies that will poise the business units for the design of Transmission Friction Systems.
5. Plan, direct and coordinate the timely execution of assigned projects.
1. Material Structure/Properties‑Friction Performance Relationship Analysis.
2. New Friction Product Concepts Development.
3. Interfacial Friction Phenomena Analysis and Basic Theories Development.
4. Degradation Studies and Modeling (Chemical and Physical).
5. Friction Material/Metal Surface Modifications
6. Friction Interface Development
7. Identification and verification of new friction material components for next generation friction materials